Sunderland’s last six meetings with Newcastle United have all ended in a win and on March 20 the Black Cats will look to extend their unbeaten run to seven. This derby is arguably the most important, with both clubs fighting relegation at this point in the season, three points would be huge for either side. We take a look at Sunderland’s top seven goals against the Magpies.
1. Jermain Defoe’s winning volley. (05/04/2015) Jermain Defoe’s volley against Newcastle United back in April 2015 ignited Sunderland’s survival campaign. The goal came just before half time when ex Sunderland keeper Costel Pantilimon sent the ball forward from a free kick, Steven Fletcher won the flick on and Defoe’s deadly striker instinct came into play as he spectacularly volleyed home with his weaker left foot.
2.David Vaughan’s strike in 3-0 away win. (14/04/2013) David Vaughan topped off an unexpected 3-0 win for Sunderland away to local rivals Newcastle when he drove his left footed effort into the top left corner. The game will be remembered for Ex Sunderland manager Paulo Di Canio and his excellent celebrations for all three goals. Di Canio and his knee slides will be remembered forever in premier league history. The Italian was became an instant hero in the eyes of all Sunderland fans as he ran down the touchline and slid past the devastated Geordies. It has to be said, Vaughan’s effort was the best of the lot. The win was one of the most unexpected derby wins ever for Sunderland. The away end was absolutely ecstatic as the Newcastle fans faded away out of the stadium.
3. Steven Fletcher’s counter attacking goal in 3-0 home win. (25/10/2015) Steven Fletchers penultimate goal for Sunderland came in the latest derby, back in October 2015. Sunderland centre back Younes Kaboul ran the full length of the pitch before picking out a perfectly time cross with his weaker left foot, for Fletcher to divert into the bottom left corner. A goal that will always be remembered by Sunderland fans.
4. Stephen Elliot equaliser away in 3-2 loss. (23/10/2005) Stephen Elliot’s long range equaliser from back in 2005 makes the cut. The strike was an excellent one but the away side didn’t manage to hold on for a point when Emre grabbed Newcastle United all three at St James Park. The fans sold out another packed away end back in 2005. The goal, aside from the result, will be remembered in the hearts of all Sunderland fans forever.
5. Fabio Borini winner in 2-1 home win. (27/10/2013) Fabio Borini’s first goal for Sunderland was a spectacular winner in a 2-1 win at home to Newcastle. As well as his first goal, the trend of sacking a manager and appointing a manager the game before the derby continued as Gus Poyet got his first home win. The goal was made even more special with the winner coming so late on in the game for the Black Cats.
6.Kieran Richardson free kick in 2-1 home win. (25/10/2008) Kieran Richardson’s superb free kick in a 2-1 win at home give Sunderland their first derby win in eight years. The stage was set for the Sunderland manager that year, Roy Keane and Richardson himself to smash home his free kick, which was just outside the 18-yard box.
7. Kevin Phillips Chipped effort over Shay Given. (25/08/1999) Last but certainly not least is Kevin Phillips’ chip over Shay Given back in the 1999/2000 season. Niall Quinn scored a good header before Kevin Phillips produced a moment of magic, beating a helpless given. The win for the Black Cats also caused Ruud Gullit to lose his job managing the magpies.